July 30, 2012
July 20, 2012
July 18, 2012
This card did not start out the way that I expected it would, but now that it is finished, I kind of like it.
I wanted to try using the Distress inks with water. I swiped some ink onto a clear acrylic stamp block. I didn't have a spray bottle with water, so I sprayed the ink with glimmer mist instead. I put the card down onto the ink and quickly learned that glimmer mist is NOT the same as water when it comes to using it with the Distress inks.
I used gesso to stamp an image onto the card and then let it air dry. And since glitter makes everything better, I added some (it is really hard to see in the photo, but believe me it is nice and sparkly in real life).
|Supplies: Distress ink, glimmer mist, gesso and glitter|
[See all ICAD posts]
July 11, 2012
I think it is about time I shared my first completed knitting project of 2012. I don't know why it has taken me so long to share.
Technically I finished knitting this project in October of 2011. However, it took me 4-months after that to take the time to weave in all the yarn ends.
The husband wanted a "smooth" scarf. No ridges. No bumps. He also did not want anything bulky. He really liked the look of stockinette stitches. Since a scarf made totally out of stockinette likes to curl, and I didn't want to have to knit in the round, I decided to knit the scarf using 1 x 1 rib. Fake stockinette if you will.
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease worsted in "Mushroom" and "Black"
Needle: US 7 (4.5mm)
Finished: 10/23/11 (all knitting done)
Officially Finished: 2/14/12 (all ends finally weaved in)
Ravelry project link: Smooth
The husband's "smooth" scarf
Cast on 46 stitches.
Knit 1 x 1 rib (K1, P1) for 20 rows of each color (I counted the cast-on row as 1 row).
Knit the first and last stitch of every row (the beginning of each row will end up having 2 knit stitches).
July 10, 2012
I was a stamper before I was a scrapbooker.
I used to work at an educational bookstore that held workshops for school teachers. I would get to help demo the new stamps and latest techniques whenever the Hero Arts rep held a class. Bonus was being able to order whatever I wanted from the Hero Arts catalog whenever the store placed an order. That changed once I started scrapbooking, and soon my stamping and purchase of stamping products greatly diminished.
Even though I knew about Tim Holtz Distress Inks, after all these years I never tried them. Well as of now, that is no longer the case. I finally broke down and bought myself a couple of ink pads and that is all she wrote. I am hooked.
I have to say this project is perfect when it comes to buying ummm, I mean trying out new products.
I thought I would try using an old stamping sponge to blend the ink. It worked okay. I am sure if I had used an ink blending tool it would have worked a whole lot better. I will most definitely have to buy myself a couple of those soon. Very very soon.
|Supplies: Pink. Sugar. Pop stamp, white Signo pen, distress inks, Tattered Angels glimmer mist|
July 5, 2012
For my next index card, I took pieces of tape and randomly stuck them down all over the card. I then colored in all the non-taped open areas with a black marker. Once that was done, I pulled off the tape and doodled in the white space that was left.
I was going to leave it at that but it just looked too plain to me, I felt it needed something more. So I added Liquid Pearls for dimension.
July 3, 2012
My computer has been turned off for about a week now and I have to say, I Love it!
Soon the days of almost 24-hour computer usage will return. Of course, I have been hinting about this for awhile now, this class that will soon occupy all of my free time. But, I have yet to even start it. I just like talking about it I guess. I really need to bite the bullet and get this class started so I can actually complain about not having any free time instead of just complaining about the idea of not having any free time.
So, since I have all this free time, you get another index card. I even dusted off my scrapping supplies for this one.
I painted the index card with acrylic paint and made chevrons using Stickles. I used a Maya Road owl stamp which I then colored with markers and a white Signo pen.
I have an speech bubble stamp but it faces the wrong direction. So, I used it as a stencil instead and now that I am writing this, I realize that I totally COULD have used the stamp and then just flipped the paper and used the backside. Go me!
I traced some letters and colored the speech bubble and letters with markers and a white Signo pen.
I attached the owl and speech bubble with framer's tape for dimension and then used some black ink around edges to grunge it up a bit.
And there you have it......index card #16.