April 20, 2015

L is for Ladder-backed Woodpecker

The Ladder-backed Woodpecker is a beautiful looking bird. It is black and white and the male has a red spot on its head. They like to nest in cactus and if you put out a bird feeder, one of these woodpeckers will most likely show up.

I always smile when I see one, but when I was younger they always managed to make me mad. Maybe because due to the Ladder-backed Woodpecker, I never got to sleep in.

When I was a teenager, I was just like any other teenager. I loved to sleep in. I especially looked forward to sleeping in during the summer months when I was off from school. But no matter how much I looked forward to sleeping in, it never failed that I would always be woken up early by the sound of the Ladder-backed woodpecker pecking non-stop at the metal on the swamp cooler. The sound is like a miniature jackhammer that never ever stops.

Ladder-backed woodpecker
Photo by George Scott

Ladder-backed Woodpecker 2-20111114
Photo by Kenneth Cole Schneider


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2015.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Comments make me Oh so very happy! :-) ♥

I tend to respond via comments so if you are asking a question (or just feel like it) be sure to click 'Subscribe By Email' to be notified of replies.

recent posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...