April 7, 2005

Freezing in the desert

I have had it with how cold it is at work. Even though the thermostat is set to be warmer than usual - it is freezing in here! It seems to get that way when the temperature gets hotter outside. At least I am not the only one. Everyone seems to be freezing. It is going to be 90 degrees today and it is already starting to freeze up. I think I need something hot to drink.

So I decided that the fastest thing to make that would keep me warm enough to work would be a crocheted shawl (fingerless handwarmers are a close second). So after work I headed over to pick up some yarn. However I got distracted along the way (I sure hate when I do that). Since I had to be home by 7pm I needed to make my trip a quick one. However, I ended up stopping by Barnes and Noble (I think that is where I stopped) to look at knitting magazines. I was there a bit when I decided not to buy anything. Then I headed over to JoAnn's for some yarn. Unfortunately the JoAnn's I have to go to is on the FAR FAR East side as the other one does not carry much of a selection. Before going to the store I had picked out a couple of patterns (crochet and knit). I decided on a crochet pattern as I wanted to make this shawl quickly and if I knit it - I would not have it done until next winter. Since this JoAnn's is the only store in town (including Michaels) that carries wooden knitting needles, I grabbed a set. I found a few different yarns that I would like for other projects but for this basic shawl it took me forever to decide. The patterns I had called for Homespun so that is what I was going to use but the color selection was limited. I made my decision and since funds are tight - I put back the knitting needles. It was already 5 min to 7pm when I left and it takes me at least 20-25 min to get home. I had to stop at the bank on the way to make a deposit so that took some time too (especially since I had to go to multiple ATMs to find one that had deposit envelopes - darn bank!). I don't know why I am so slow when it comes to making decsions. I think I think too much.

So fast forward to home. Even though I missed the beginning I did get to see the majority of Lost ( I love that show). It pretty much turned out the way I expected. The season finale looks exciting and I am looking forward to next Wednesday night.

I started right in on the shawl using the Homespun and a size N hook. I have used the Homespun before but only with larger sized hooks. I know it is a difficult yarn to work with but Darn! I had problems right from the beginning. I could not see the stitches at all. I started over twice and then started looking for a new pattern. I am now kicking myself for not buying those size 13 knitting needles. I have to decide if I will just use a larger hook (maybe a P) or just knit the darn thing. I have decided I will make this decision on the weekend when B is at work and I have the whole place to myself.

Speaking of having the place to myself. I thought that it was kind of sad that B and I will not have a single day off at the same time but on the other hand I loved having the weekend to myself last week and I am looking forward to this week as well. Peace and Quiet here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Comments make me Oh so very happy! :-) ♥

I tend to respond via comments so if you are asking a question (or just feel like it) be sure to click 'Subscribe By Email' to be notified of replies.

recent posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...